Saturday, July 5, 2014

Potty Training

We've decided that it is finally time for Evie to be potty trained.  We've waited far longer than we thought we would, for various reasons.  Personal Readiness- we didn't feel Evie was ready for it a year ago, she has shown zero interest, and still struggles with undressing herself.  Life Changes- we didn't want to start it just before or after other big changes such as getting a new little brother or moving into a new home.  Parental Laziness- this one is all me, we've been really busy this year so far and I wasn't up for the challenge of potty-training a very independent and resistant toddler.

So I've been trying to prepare Evie for it by telling her over the last couple of weeks that it was coming soon.  Her response was "No, I'm too little-big".  Hilarious, right?  But it is time, nonetheless.

This first photo is some insight into how ridiculous I am as a parent.  I started buying these little potties when Evie was around 18 months old, convinced that I would get this kid using the potty by 2 years old at the latest.  And over time, we've purchased or otherwise acquired no less than FIVE potty chairs or potty seats.  I guess subconsciously I was hoping that if we bought just the right one, Evie would fall madly in love with it and potty train herself.  Hahahahaha.

But it's actually going really well.  She's not excited about it, but it's been a bit easier than I thought it would be.  And her teachers at school are being very helpful during the two mornings a week that she is with them.  I'm realizing that it is a longer process than I thought but hopefully in another month we'll be finished with it all and we can put this big effort behind us for a couple of years.



No comments:

Post a Comment