Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween Costumes

Since I've decided to make a blog post out of it, I wish I had more progress photos to show of the costumes I've been working on for Evie and Henry.  I've really enjoyed making Evie's costumes these last couple of years, and this year was no exception.  It usually starts out with a simple idea, and then ends up being a much bigger undertaking that I had ever anticipated.  Evie's costume for this year took up about 95% of my effort, with Henry's being only about 5%.  (But since he's not even a year old yet, I consider his costume to be a "bonus").
For Evie's costume, I bought a plain shirt at Old Navy and added the decorative cowgirl yoke at the top.  I also took a jean skirt that she already owned, cut it, and added a ruffly skirt portion to the bottom.  And finally, I took a pair of hand-me-down cowgirl boots and painted them with leather paint.  We bought her hat on Amazon.  Oh yeah, and I made a "belt buckle" using a canning jar lid.
For Henry's costume, I took an old towel and sewed a cloak out of it.  Then I dyed a onesie and a pair of pants he already owned.  And I bought a cute knitted hat for him on Etsy.





This last photo is one Joe took of me a few years ago, but I love it because it shows me at my grandma's sewing machine.  This sewing machine is a work horse, it never fails, and has great sentimental value to me.  My grandma taught my mom and her three sisters to sew on this same machine, and there is even a place on the needle plate where my mom had scratched all of their first initials.  So cool, right?!!

Photos of our kiddos in their costumes coming up next!

No comments:

Post a Comment